A Writer's Life

A madman's quest to become a recognized author

Friday, September 01, 2006

Why I chose Sci fi/Fantasy

Saying that I am a sci fi/fantasy writer would be at its core a gross inaccuracy. I have done writing in many different genres, from romance to non fiction. But it is in sci fi/fantasy that I chose to write my first novel.

You may ask
why? But the answer isn't all that complicated. It's simply the genre that I like to write the most. Baring in mind that any novel I write will have romance, action, suspence, human drama and all that. Sci fi gives you the flexibilty to do just about anything you want to do. But of course you can't go overboard or the result will be something that no one can relate to or something where the plot doesn't make any sense. You can really use your imagination and do things that you couldn't in other genres and still have characters that people can relate to.
Basically its up to you to decide how much influence the setting has on the story. I mean, you can have a regular human story but have it take place some time in the future or in some warped Earth like setting. You can make regular people into heroes or distort reality into anything you want it to be.
Sci fi/fantasy is a setting where you can really let your creative juices flow.

3 Comments:

At September 04, 2006 6:03 pm, Blogger Cat said...

Nice thoughts...I think you are right. You are able to stretch a little more when writing sci/fi so maybe it'll be a good choice for you to take.

Happy Click & Comment Day!

 
At September 06, 2006 3:43 pm, Blogger Ragnar said...

I write Sci-fi/Fantasy because it allows me to travel to the edges of my imagination, and tell the world what i saw afterwords :P

 
At January 16, 2010 5:21 pm, Anonymous JbScrypt said...

This is an awesome perspective, and Exactly why reading SciFi/Fantasy is my favorite and why that is my particular genre to write in aswell!

Well said!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.